Futago

nav·i·gate - v. nav·i·gat·ed, nav·i·gat·ing, nav·i·gates v. tr. a. To make one's way

Friday, March 31, 2006

Sleep = Commodity

I'm running on about 5 and a half hours of sleep per night. I've never been the strongest sleeper either. I used to have to lie in bed for a good 20 or 30 minutes before drifting off.

But now I could sleep on shards of glass if given half a chance.

It's interesting in a way. I'm sort of learning a new skill and am amazed at how the body can adapt to any situation. Somehow, I'm getting through the day on this minimal rest and still manage to get stuff done at work.

Unfortunately, I remain a grumpy bastard in the morning. This causes much chagrin with Heather who has to put up with it. On numerous occasions while sitting with one of the boys at 6 a.m. bleary eyed and half delirious, I will spout out a declaration that I think I'm getting sick.

Heather replies that she feels she is too, but instead of getting sick in a physical she probably means she's getting sick of my cranky-ass. This is a fair comment considering that she gets about 3 to 4 hours of sleep in one stretch max. I'm surprised she hasn't karate-chopped me yet when I go on about how tired I am.

Anyway, I keep having to remind myself that this isn't permanent. Eventually the boys will start sleeping through the night.

Right now that seems like some impossible event. Like winning the lottery or being an astronaut or something. My mind reels at the very thought of actually going to bed at night and waking up in the morning without interruption.

I fantasize about it from time to time. If someone invented some kind of gadget or product that enabled babies to sleep through the night from the day of birth, then that person would be a gazillionaire.

But through it all, Lachlan and Finn will do things that sweetly distract me from my slumbering state. We bathed them last night. There is something undeniably enjoyable about bathing your child. The way they enjoy the warm water, and the soft murmurs they make as you pass the soapy suds over their bodies.

Without sounding weird about it, seeing them completely naked is compelling. For the one reason that this is how you first saw them when they entered this world and our lives.

These moments pull you back into the warmth of parenting. It would just be easier if sleep wasn't such a commodity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home