Futago

nav·i·gate - v. nav·i·gat·ed, nav·i·gat·ing, nav·i·gates v. tr. a. To make one's way

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Decibels Gone Wild...

Have you ever heard a baby cry? I don't mean a cooing, vaguely dissatisfied cry, but a full-on wail?

It commands attention.

Now, try TWO babies blaring their lungs out at the same time. Extra bonus points for misery if they are your own children. Their stereo howling goes right into your gut, and your heart.

I was looking after both boys by myself yesterday. It was a cacophany of unparalleled noise. Whenever they start rocknrolling with the crying gig I run between the two of them frantically trying to placate their cries. I'll soothe one, and move onto the other only to have the boy I just soothed start all over again.

It usually ends in tears. Mine.

I imagine it must look rather comical to an outsider to see me running to and fro while these two babies are declaring their unhappiness. I'm sure I look like an idiot.

The thing is though is that nature seems to have designed it this way. Crying forces you to want to do something about it. Anything. With the volume my kids produce sometimes you'd think the world is ending, or that they are in some dire pain. The reality is they probably just have a poopy diaper.

I'll tell you what, the silence that follows a serious round of wailing is the sweetest moment. At that point, all seems right with the universe once again.

Nature is a clever thing. Its cleverness sometimes kicks my ass though.

1 Comments:

At 6:19 PM, Blogger j. ethan duran said...

crying doesn't seem to work for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home