Futago

nav·i·gate - v. nav·i·gat·ed, nav·i·gat·ing, nav·i·gates v. tr. a. To make one's way

Friday, February 09, 2007

Away...

I was away from home this past week with work. There was a time when I really enjoyed job-related travel. In some ways, I still do, but man, I really miss these little fellows when I'm not home with them. I miss my wife. I miss the whole thing.

I miss a home that has come into the true definition of the word since the arrival of our sons.

I can see their faces in my mind so clearly when I am not with them. The way they move. The way they make me laugh.

I arrived back yesterday. The flight was really delayed. The last train from the airport had long departed, and I had to take a ridicuously high-priced cab ride home. It was raining. It was late.
When I finally got to my house the front porch light was still on. I paid the cabbie and walked to my front door and unlocked it. I could hear my dog shuffling around on the other side.
The house was still. Very quiet and yet full of life. I went into the boys room and watched them sleep. The rising and falling of their steady breaths was my welcome.
I slipped into my bed. My wife was curled up and fast asleep. Before I drifted away I could only think of how damn good it was to be home.



1 Comments:

At 3:55 PM, Blogger j. ethan duran said...

it must be great having that "feeling" of something to return to. i can't believe how big the boys are getting. geez.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home